Last week, we took a look at the highest rated movies of 2014 on IMDb. Today we look at the worst (lowest) rated movies. Again, the movies are rated year round by IMDb users, and provide one of the largest sampling of mainstream public opinion on films. Find out which 40 films are on the IMDB worst movies of 2014 list, after the jump.
Note: IMDb is a good resource, and I even believe it can be a great source for gauging public opinion of a film. That said, sometimes fan communities spike the ratings for highly anticipated new releases, or in this case for hated movies and franchises. This list was compiled on December 16th 2014, consisting of English-language films which had at least 1,500 votes. (To eliminate micro releases few people have seen.)
You will notice some trends on this list:
- The abundance of lower budget horror and thrillers. While we saw some indie genre films in the highest rated list, it seems the bottom of the year claims a lot of the direct-to-video genre films.
- There are also a handful of faith based movies. I haven’t seen any of them and can’t speak to their quality (I wouldn’t expect to like the few listed here) but I think its safe to assume that Kirk Cameron’s Saving Christmas high (or low?) placement on this list is likely the result of a community of people who don’t agree with the filmmaker’s religious or political beliefs spiking the vote. I’m not saying the film isn’t bad, I’m just saying its extreme placement is likely the result of mob-style voting.
- You will also see quite a few bad comedies – From big Hollywood studio releases likeSex Tape and Tammy to smaller indie films like Space Station 76. Even the recently-departed Robin Williams couldn’t keep A Merry Friggin’ Christmas off this list.
- And while Dwayne Johnson’s Hercules was rated slightly better than the films on this list, you will find two other Hercules movies in the bottom 20.
- And the list also contains a bunch of direct to video sequels that don’t look very good.
Lowest Rated English-Language Feature Films Released In 2014 With At Least 1,500 Votes
42. I, Frankenstein
Frankenstein’s creature finds himself caught in an all-out, centuries old war between two immortal clans.
Dir: Stuart Beattie With: Aaron Eckhart, Bill Nighy, Miranda Otto
Action Fantasy Sci-Fi
A group of friends on a weekend trip to a cabin in the woods find themselves terrorized by alien visitors.
Dir: Colin Minihan With: Brittany Allen, Freddie Stroma, Jesse Moss
40. A Merry Friggin’ Christmas
Boyd Mitchler and his family must spend Christmas with his estranged family of misfits. Upon realizing that he left all his son’s gifts at home, he hits the road with his dad in an attempt to make the 8-hour round trip before sunrise.
Dir: Tristram Shapeero With: Joel McHale, Lauren Graham, Clark Duke
39. Sex Tape
A married couple wake up to discover that the sex tape they made the evening before has gone missing, leading to a frantic search for its whereabouts.
Dir: Jake Kasdan With: Jason Segel, Cameron Diaz, Rob Corddry
38. The Quiet Ones
A university professor and a team of students conduct an experiment on a young woman, uncovering terrifyingly dark, unexpected forces in the process.
Dir: John Pogue With: Jared Harris, Sam Claflin, Olivia Cooke
37. A Good Marriage
After 25 years of a good marriage, what will Darcy do once she discovers her husband’s sinister secret?
Dir: Peter Askin With: Joan Allen, Anthony LaPaglia, Stephen Lang
When the daughter of a reformed criminal is kidnapped, he rounds up his old crew and seeks his own brand of justice.
Dir: Paco Cabezas With: Nicolas Cage, Rachel Nichols, Max Ryan
Action Crime Thriller
35. Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
Jesse begins experiencing a number of disturbing and unexplainable things after the death of his neighbor…
Dir: Christopher Landon With: Andrew Jacobs, Jorge Diaz, Gabrielle Walsh
34. God’s Not Dead
College philosophy professor Mr. Radisson’s curriculum is challenged by his new student, Josh, who believes God exists.
Dir: Harold Cronk With: Shane Harper, Kevin Sorbo, David A.R. White
33. Space Station 76
A 1970s version of the future, where personalities and asteroids collide.
Dir: Jack Plotnick With: Patrick Wilson, Liv Tyler, Marisa Coughlan
Comedy Drama Sci-Fi
23. See No Evil 2
A group of friends pays a late-night visit to the city morgue to surprise Amy (Harris) on her birthday…
Dir: Jen Soska, Sylvia Soska With: Glenn Jacobs, Danielle Harris, Katharine Isabelle
- Batman v Superman Teaser Trailer Description [Comic Con 2014]
- ‘Left Behind’ Trailer: Nicolas Cage Fails to Get Raptured
- LOL: Satan Is a Movie Critic, Gets Quoted on ‘Left Behind’ Poster
- ‘Jupiter Ascending’ International Trailer: The Wachowksis’ Latest Is Still Coming
- ‘Extraterrestrial’ Trailer: Definitely Not an Airplane
- Short ‘Ouija’ Trailer Crams Horror Into One Minute
The post IMDb’s Worst Rated Movies of 2014: From ‘Tammy’ To ‘Saving Christmas’appeared first on /Film.